Interpreter’s clause – apostille – superlegalization

Is your head spinning around the meaning of interpreter’s clause – apostille – superlegalization? Do you need a certified translation of a document, but are not sure, which type of clause you have to have on your document? Sometimes, an interpreter’s clause suffices; in other cases, an apostille or superlegalization and simultaneously an interpreter’s clause are required.

Not all clauses are equal

In all three cases, it is a confirmation of the authenticity of the certified documents and the exclusion of the possibility of counterfeited documents. Similarly to the notary’s verification of your signature on a power of attorney, as assurance for the receiving party that it was you who has signed it, public documents are verified or authenticated, as well.

It always depends on the relations or contractual terms with the country where the given document was issued, and the country, where the document is to be submitted.

Interpreter’s clause – the simplest way 

The interpreter’s clause confirms that the translation is identical with the original document.

It exempts the submitting party from having to procure a higher level of authentication of a foreign document – it applies to more than thirty countries contractually bound with the Czech Republic (e.g., Hungary, Poland, Austria, Slovakia). It means that Czech documents presented in these countries are exempt from the obligation to bear an apostille and superlegalization, i.e., you translation with an interpreter’s clause will be considered legally valid.

Two examples:

  1. You are a Czech citizen and want to work in one of the countries that have signed the agreement on certification exemption. You have to submit to your future employer a document of your education or transcript from the crime register.
  2. You are already employed in a foreign country and will have to submit transcripts from the revenue office or health insurance.

What do you have to do?

Have a certified copy of the necessary document made at the registry or post office. Find a reliable translation agency. The agency will translate the document for you, including the interpreter’s clause.

The court-certified translator will bind the certified copy, which you had brought to the translation agency, with the translation, add the interpreter’s clause, and create the required certified document that you may submit to the relevant institution or employer. 

Our TIP: Most clients require a certified translation into German and Russian

Higher authentication – a longer way to the goal

In countries that have not signed an agreement on higher authentication exemption, the interpreter’s clause does not suffice, as higher authentication is required. In practice, you may encounter two possible ways of higher authentication – an apostille and superlegalization. Which of these two modes of certification you will be required to obtain depends on the country in which the given document was issued.


An apostille is a simpler form of higher authentication, compared to superlegalization.

It is a verification of the authenticity of the signature and stamp on a document that you want to present abroad. Such verification is required for documents issued in the countries that are signatories of the Hague Convention:

  • Germany,
  • Ireland,
  • The United Kingdom,
  • Switzerland, etc.

Usually, apostilles are issued in the official language of the country of issue.

Two examples:

  1. You are living abroad and now you have a child that was born here. Your child was issued a birth certificate in one of the countries that signed the Hague Convention, i.e., so-called Apostille Convention. You want to apply for registration in the Czech Republic Registry.
  2. You married in a country that is a signatory of the Hague Convention, where you were issued a marriage certificate. You want to apply for registration of your marriage in the Czech Republic Registry.

What do you have to do?

To have the birth or marriage certificate officially authenticated with an apostille in the country where the child was born or the marriage took place.

Once you have the document with the apostille, it is time to have it translated, including the apostille. Thus, the final document will bear both the apostille and the interpreter’s clause.

Our TIP: We can provide you with a certified translation with the interpreter’s clause into several global languages.


This form of authentication is based on the principle of double verification.

  1. The authentication is done in the country of the document’s issue – usually, at the given country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  2. Thereupon, the embassy of the country, where the document is to be submitted attaches so-called higher authentication, i.e., superlegalization.

We present no examples, as the situation is most likely identical to an apostille and depends on the given country. 

Superlegalization applies to countries that are not signatories of the Hague Convention and the Czech Republic has not signed an agreement on exemption from authentication of public documents. The countries requiring double authentication include, e.g.:

  • Bolivia,
  • The Dominican Republic,
  • Honduras,
  • Kosovo.

If you have to have a document issued in one of these countries authenticated, you have to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of Justice of the country where the document was issued. Then you go to the embassy of the country where the document is to be submitted. In case you need a translation, as well, the translation agency will provide you with a certified translation with the interpreter’s clause.

The final version of your document may contain both superlegalization and interpreter’s clause.

Our TIP: Contact the registry first to get advice where higher authentication can be obtained. Only then ask your translator for a certified translation.