Translation with certification – a necessity or not?

Translation with certification – a necessity or not?
Would not an “ordinary” translation suffice? Why pay more for a certified translation?

From time to time there will be a situation where a client needs to have a document translated, but hesitates, whether it is necessary to get it translated with a “stamp”, i.e., certification, or otherwise. When is certification not necessary and when, on the contrary, is it required?

A brief explanation how the certification stamp actually works

A certification confirms that the translation into a certain language corresponds verbatim
to the text of the original document (or the certified copy thereof).

How can I tell the difference between an ordinary and a certified translation?

An ordinary translation is a printed, hard-copy document or an electronic document, whereas
a certified translation consists of several additional parts, which are printed and bound together
to form one document, i.e., the translated text with the original document, plus the translator’s certification clause with his round certification stamp. The translator’s certification clause is always in the same language as the translated text. The document thus composed is considered legally valid.

Which documents is a good idea to have in the certified form?

Some examples of certified documents we have produced for our clients:

  • transcripts from the crime register
  • employment and work contracts
  • purchase contracts / vehicle purchase contracts
  • confirmations of taxable income
  • medical reports / transcripts from medical documentation
  • overviews of advance payments to the state administration or health insurer
  • medical examination reports (health reports)
  • authorizations to drive a car or driving licenses
  • divorce decisions or judgments / child custody decisions / child support decisions
  • graduation certificates / diplomas
  • confirmations of school enrollment
  • etc.

It always depends on the purpose that you need the given document for. In most cases, state agencies and institutions require certified translations. However, for the purposes of your personal reference or evidence, an ordinary translation will of course suffice.